Sunday, June 1, 2008

Rain




We had a good midwestern thunderstorm this morning. It was nice to feel the wind and rain again. I have been either back east or out west for the last several years and had not seen a good one for while. I am sure there are storms in other parts of the country, but there is something special about about how the dark blue, almost green clouds roll in over the wheat fields, how the blast of cold air hits you; the sky goes black, and then the air goes white with horizontal rain. I was out in the garden getting ready to plant some zipper peas and purple hulls. I got the rows roto-tilled, but only about 20 feet planted before I had to run for cover.


Fortunately, we didn't get any real hail this time. Our wheat is only a few weeks from harvest, and is at high risk for meteoroligical threshing. We did get a cloudburst that washed out a terrace in our corn field, directing a river through our beloved tomatoe patch. We went out with straw bales and shovels mend the gap and got it filled as the rain was stopping. Ground was quite sloppy. So much for field work, but we got the shop clean, brush-hogged the orchard, and diagnosed the lawn-mower's engine ailment. All-in-all a good day.

The terrace repair crew.

6 comments:

MissionSK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MissionSK said...

To add on what you said... we also got covered with "chocolate"- BIG time. Then Andrew tried to commit suicide twice, - Thank God - UNSUccessfully. It was a fun day.

Andrea said...

Sounds like a good, soggy adventure! Thunderstorms are the best! You are right though--I think the mid-west shows them off better cause you can see the whole sky.

Well done with the bloggin! :)

Phoebe said...

Wow, sounds like you had a great day! A little crazy, though! I just got a blog! Yay. :D Anyways, hope you have a great summer. God bless.

Kristin said...

I'm glad to see that you aren't letting your nursing skills lie completely at rest (diagnosing the lawn mower) ;)
That first picture is amazing by the way.

Melody said...

Stumbled across your blog through Emily and then saw the pics of my sister Sandra on there! I was telling Edwin the other day (as we both chill out here in Loma Linda CA) how funny I think it is that Sandra gets to hang out on the farm with all of you guys, when that's what I use to do with Heather and Edwin and Dena back years ago when I was not even hardly a teenager! Life is interesting with it's twists and turns!! Hope your time back in Africa goes well. Blessings to you Luke!